In this journey we\'re on, we find ourselves at various crossroads, faced with difficult decisions to make.
If we\'re not ready, or afraid, the decision may be \'I\'ll do nothing\' or \'I\'m not going to think about it\'. In reality this is a decision, if only for the short term. Our have you made a decision, and later in retrospect feel it wasn\'t the right decision? I know I have…on some very weighty matters that affected the course of my life.
In my Healing Choice series, I suggest waiting about six months before making a big decision on the very weighty consideration of divorce, by first giving yourself the gift of time, removing the pressure from within and from external forces. In addition to the big things, there are a lot of smaller decisions that need to be addressed along the way, and in all aspects of our everyday life. Our feelings are a profound driver of hasty decisions, even when concerning life-directing choices. A decision can be made quickly in an emotional moment, but its affects can echo through a lifetime.
How to Make Healthy Decisions
When weighty consequences are attached to our decisions, these steps will bring arm you with godly wisdom and discernment.
These 5 questions can quickly shed light on our thinking in decision making:
1. Am I being led by my feelings…possibly fear, impatience, or anger?
2. Am I being pressured by another person to make this decision?
3. Am I avoiding thinking about the possible short and long-term outcomes and ramifications of my decision?
4. If others followed my example could it cause them harm?
5. Would a secular person consider my actions hypocritical?
The next 5 are how God talks to us. When He gives us direction, He confirms it a few of these ways because we are capable of manipulating one single thing to fit our desires.
6. Bible - Has God spoken about this before in scripture?
7. Holy Spirit - Do I sense Holy Spirit directing me toward this decision?
8. Prayer - Have I prayed and have peace about this decision?
9. Circumstances - Are there circumstances that appear God arranged?
10. Counsel - Have I sought wise counsel from a mature Christian?
If our hearts are set on being Christ-like, our actions will bring honor to God. May all your decisions give you peace and keep you going in the right direction!
If you are in the midst of figuring out which way is up because of sexual betrayal in your most intimate relationship, I encourage you to dive into The Healing Choice Guidebook I, to help you make the best decisions!